If there ever were a great time to upgrade your AutoCAD license it is now! So what's new with the release of AutoCAD 2016? Whilst there doesn’t seem to be any one “new” thing, there is a whole plethora of enhancements to existing commands and features. One thing that isn't new is the DWG file type, yes AutoCAD 2016 will still run on AutoCAD 2013 DWG.
Here are some of my favourite new enhancements and features in AutoCAD 2016
- Snap to geometric centre. A new object snap mode – geometric centre, or GCE at the command-line – allows you to snap to the centre of closed polylines, whether regular or irregular.
- REVCLOUD command has some new options.
- The DIM command has been updated. The command has combined all dimensions creation controls into one command. Simply type DIM on the command line and right-click. Thankfully, I no longer have to find or remember the commands for the individual dimension types.
- Attach and view Autodesk Navisworks (.NWC, .NWD) and BIM 360™ Glue models directly inside AutoCAD.
- It’s great to see some point cloud feature extraction capabilities being introduced in the product. You can create as-built drawings from point clouds, extract your floor plan directly from a cross-section of the point cloud and snap to edges, corners, and centrelines of point cloud geometry using Object Snap.
- AutoCAD 2016 creates better PDFs. They are smaller, generated more quickly and now searchable.
- Visual enhancements help you see your drawings more clearly. Readability is improved with true curves instead of line segments.
- Smart Dimensioning - automatically create appropriate measurements. Pass the cursor over selected objects to get a preview of the dimension.
Well that’s it for this brief and early look at AutoCAD 2016’s new features/enhancements. There are some great enhancements that will be very useful indeed. It is also very nice to see so many AUGI Wish List items addressed in one release.