Matching Your Formlabs PreForm Settings To Your Resin Version
Formlabs are committed to constantly evolving and improving the quality of their resins for enhanced 3d print quality. With every new resin release, you need to ensure you are updating your PreForm settings to reflect the correct version of resin.
How to Identify Your Resin Version
PreForm will ask you to identify your resin type and version when setting up for each print.
First, select the correct material. If the material only has one version, it will automatically select. If there are multiple versions, refer to the formulation code on your cartridge or bottle. It will look something like this:
RS-F2-GPCL-04 (Form 2 Clear Resin Cartridge version 04)
RS-F2-GPWH-03 (Form 2 White Resin Cartridge version 03)
RS-F2-GPGR-03 (Form 2 Grey Resin Cartridge version 03)
RS-F2-GPBK-03 (Form 2 Black Resin Cartridge version 03 )
RS-F2-CABL-02 (Form 2 Castable Resin Cartridge version 02)
RS-F2-FLGR-02 (Form 2 Flexible Resin Cartridge version 02)
RS-F2-TOTL-04 (Form 2 Tough Resin Cartridge version 04)
RS-F2-HTAM-01 (Form 2 High Temperature Resin Cartridge version 01)
RS-F2-DUYL-01 (Form 2 Durable Resin Cartridge version 01)
Tips for printing with new resin versions:
- Make sure you keep PreForm up to date. Be sure you’ve downloaded the latest PreForm software with new print settings, otherwise your new version or resin will not show up as an option. Be sure to select the new formulation before setting up your model.
- If you have a saved model previously printed in an earlier formulation, you will need to regenerate supports with the new formulation selected.
- Ignore the tank warning. You can continue using the same resin tank from the previous formulation and mix the new formulation. However, a warning will appear on the printer’s touchscreen. Simply select "Ignore” and continue to use the tank.
- After choosing the material, select the correct layer thickness before beginning the print.
- WARNING: Make sure you NEVER mix resins, even if they are just different versions of the same resin. You must use a different resin tank for each resin to ensure successful prints. If you try and use a tank previously used with a different resin type or version an error message will appear. You can ignore that message and continue to print if you wish, however this may compromise the results and quality of your print.
For more information on 3D printing, contact us on 1300 667 263 or learn more about Formlabs 3D printers and resins at store.redstack.com.au